Contact Us

Small Claims Department

21 South Indian River Drive
Fort Pierce, FL 34950
Directions To This Location

Hours of Operation:

8AM -5PM, Monday - Friday
(Excluding Holidays)

Phone: (772) 462-2370


A residential landlord/tenant action applies to the rental of non-commercial dwelling unit with or without a rental agreement. It involves an action filed by a landlord against a tenant for common disputes dealing with payment of rent and/or non-compliance or breach of a lease or rental agreement.

Florida Statutes Chapter 83 provides general information on landlord/tenant actions. Landlord actions typically involve non-payment of rent and recovering possession of the rental property. You should carefully review this section of the law before starting any legal action.

You may purchase the form packets online from the Self-Service Center. See Fees & Costs for the current filing fee and accepted payments. The Clerk’s office cannot provide legal advice or any assistance with the completion of forms.

The Steps of an Eviction

  • 1. Notice of Eviction

    The landlord must provide a 3-day notice of eviction to pay rent due or vacate premises. Do not include day of delivery, weekends or holidays when calculating time. Notice may be posted on the door of the rental property or hand delivered to the tenant. If the tenant does not comply with the notice in the time allowed pursuant to the notice the landlord may file an eviction complaint with the Clerk. A copy of the 3-day notice must accompany the complaint at the time of filing.

    When there is not a rental agreement, you must give the tenant a 7-day or 15-day notice to vacate. If the rent is paid weekly you must give a 7-day notice. If the rent is paid monthly you must give a 15-day notice. If the tenant does not comply within the time allowed pursuant to the notice the landlord may file an eviction complaint with the Clerk. A copy of the 7-day or 15-day notice must accompany the complaint at the time of filing.

    If there is a rental agreement and the tenants are in violation of it (other than for non-payment of rent), you may give the tenant a 7-day noncompliance notice. The notice gives the tenant seven days to remedy the noncompliance or the rental agreement may be terminated. A copy of the noncompliance notice must accompany the complaint at the time of filing.

  • 2. Filing Your Complaint for Eviction

    Compile the following items and file the complaint with the Clerk. Make copies of all forms and paperwork for your records. Please provide a telephone number on your complaint in the event the Clerk's office or Sheriff's office needs to contact you.

    • Complaint for Tenant Eviction
    • Copy of the statutory Notice to Tenant
    • Copy of Lease/Rental Agreement, if applicable, plus two copies for each tenant
    • Filing fee in form of cash, check, money order, MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover payable to St. Lucie County, Clerk of Court.
    • Service of Summons Fee for each tenant (defendant) in the form of cashier's check, money order or business check and payable to St. Lucie County Sheriff
    • One stamped, legal size envelope addressed to each tenant for mailing a copy of the complaint, summons and lease to the defendant. Make sure you use sufficient postage.

  • 3. Serving of the Summons on the Tenant

    Once served, the tenant must comply with the instructions on the summons and file an original answer to your summons with the Clerk with copies to you within five days of receipt of the summons, not including weekends or legal holidays.

  • 4. Getting Judgment for Eviction

    If the tenant fails to respond, you may complete and file a motion for default, a motion for final judgment and the final judgment, provided in the Landlord/Tenant packet. The court will review the pleadings and may either set the case for hearing, enter an order based upon the pleadings or grant the landlord possession of the property. If the tenant files an answer to your summons and deposits funds due into the court registry, the court may schedule your case for hearing.

  • 5. Obtaining Writ/Warrant of Possession

    If the tenant does not vacate after the final judgment has been entered, you will need to request a writ of possession from the Clerk by mail or in person. The Sheriff requires a fee to serve the writ of possession. See Fees & Costs for current fees.

Contact Us

County Civil & Small Claims Department

250 NW Country Club Drive
Port St. Lucie, FL 34986
Directions To This Location

Mailing Address:

Clerk of the Circuit Court
ATTN: Circuit Civil Department
P. O. Box 700
Fort Pierce, FL 34954

Hours of Operation:

8AM -5PM, Monday - Friday
(Excluding Holidays)

Phone: (772) 785-5881
Fax: (772) 785-5879